Saturday, August 11, 2012

Black Grace

Last night I got to see one of my favorite dance groups perform for the second time. I saw them a couple of years ago in my hometown Hilo and was blown away, not only by the beautiful Polynesian men and their flawless muscular bodies, but by the sheer athleticism and beauty of their dance. I didn't even realize that they were touring in New Zealand until a friend of mine posted about the concert asking if anyone wanted to go. Thank goodness I didn't miss it, since the show was being performed over the weekend and not just the one night only showings that I'm used to in Hilo.

The new show, entitled Waka was no disappointment and definitely held up to my already high expectations of the group. In fact, I walked out of this performance even MORE blown away than the first Black Grace performance I had seen! For one full hour, seven dancers (four men and three women) barely left the stage and danced the $h!t out of some of the most athletic choreography I have ever seen! There was so much control and trust going on onstage, and so much power in every single dancer. Not once in the performance did I see any hint of anything less than 100% hard hitting and precise movement. These guys should have been in the Olympics!!

I am so glad that I got to see them again.

Here are some highlights of their new show, Waka, courtesy of youtube. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment